Home Argentina community SA still a chance to stop the virus: Prime Minister | ...

SA still a chance to stop the virus: Prime Minister | Canberra weather

13
0

news, latest news

South Australia’s COVID-19 cluster has grown to six and more exposure sites have been revealed, but the state still has a chance to ‘nip this in the bud,’ Prime Minister Steven Marshall said . The only new case is linked to a restaurant in Adelaide where a birthday party was held over the weekend, which authorities say could turn into a high-profile event. The woman in her 20s worked at The Greek restaurant and also works at Westminster School, where she trained as a teacher on Monday. However, the students had not returned from school holidays. The prime minister also revealed that the state government will extend income assistance to people statewide in addition to federal assistance for those who are unemployed in Adelaide. Payments of up to $ 600 per week will be offered to people who lose their jobs. Mr Marshall thanked the South Australians for complying with the lockdown rules and for being tested in record numbers. “We only have one chance to stop this epidemic in its tracks,” Marshall said on Wednesday. “We have a chance to nip this in the bud. We don’t want to have an extended lockdown in South Australia.” The prime minister said officials were “pulling all possible levers” to increase testing capacity amid continued reports of long queues and long waits at test centers. “We don’t want people to be angry and frustrated with the delays. We are increasing the capacity at the test sites,” he said. “We are doing our best to massively increase this capacity today.” SA’s list of exhibition sites stands at over 50 and includes major shopping malls and schools. Chief public health officer Nicola Spurrier said SA Health now had two sites of most concern, the Greek restaurant and the Tenafate Creek winery in Yattalunga, north of Adelaide. She said nearly 6,000 people linked to the 52 exhibition sites were now under home quarantine. The SA virus cluster is linked to an 81-year-old man who recently arrived in Australia from Argentina and quarantined in Sydney before traveling to Adelaide where he tested positive. Genomic testing confirmed the man was infected in Sydney, not Argentina. During the week-long shutdown, which began on Tuesday evening, South Australians will only be allowed out for five reasons – to provide essential care, seek medical assistance, purchase food and other goods essentials, for essential work or exercise for up to two and a half hours. They must also wear masks outside their homes. Schools have closed, most retail stores have closed, and all construction has ceased. Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said the South African community is doing a fantastic job complying with the lockdown rules. “Every indicator we’ve seen so far is that people are doing the right thing,” he said. “The streets are empty, the city is empty. I have as much hope as anyone else that we can maintain this seven-day lockdown, but there is a lot of work to be done.” Other jurisdictions have also moved quickly to place restrictions on people coming from South Africa, with Tasmania and Queensland closing their borders and Western Australia and the Northern Territory forcing people to self-quarantine.

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/silverstone-feed-data/d539d4b4-a258-47a1-9994-c164498e7bad.jpg/r0_74_800_526_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg


Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here